Some expressions about food and relatives

Hi Dirk!

I will appreciate your help about the following expressions:

གྲོ་ཞིབ་གྷ་རམ་གསུམ་བརྒྱ་

གྲོ་ཞིབ - flour / ་གསུམ་བརྒྱ་ - 300
གྷ་རམ - I didn’t find if it in the dictionary but I imagine ti is “all purpose”?
Where is the word gram in the expression?

About ང་གྲོད་ཁོག་ལྟོགས་གི་འདུག
In order to express the same thing can I said also ང་གྲོད་ཁོག་ལྟོགས་གི་ཡོད ?

ཤ་བག་ལེབ་ཟ་འདོད་ཡོད
འདོད་ཡོད , in this case is like “I feel like eating” or “hungry for”?

What the expression ལོས་ཡོང་ལའ means?

དགའ་ཉེ་ལའ་སླུན་མཆེད་དང་འཇོམས།
What འཇོམས means in this context? (In the dictionary saids “to destroy/to conquer)

What is སླུན?

མཆེད is it siblings or relatives?

What it means ངའི་ཏིའུ་རེད། ?

What it means་བུ་མོ་སྙིང་རྗ་པོ་དེ

Here I identify the words but I don’t understand the idea:
ང་རང།ཚང་མ་ཡིན་པ་ཅིག་བཟོ་རོགས་བྱད

ཟ་དགོས་ཡོད། : what do you want to eat?

ཟས་ཐོ་སྟོན - menu’s recommendations?

What it means ཚལ་བྱས ?
ཚལ - Vegetables….

What it means འབྲས་བྱས ?

གྷ་རམ = gram

Since stacked consonants in Tibetan are pronounced differently than they are spelled, loanwords will sometimes have extra vowels inserted in them to make it clear those letters (unstacked) will need to be pronounced.

For example, གྲམ་ is not pronounced “gram” (it used to be!), but something like “dram”/“dam”. So they spelled “gram” as ག་རམ་ to show you pronounced both the “g” and the “r”. “Gram”.

The “h” is a clue, too. Often they will add an unusual stack, or backwards letter, just to show that the word is ‘foreign’. (Like in མོ་ཊ་ [motor], or like we saw a few posts ago, ཧྥ་རན་སི [France]). This kind of spelling is confusing, but increasingly common!

1 Like

Some words can work this way, but most do not. The common grammatical explanation is that some verbs are ‘involuntary’ and others ‘voluntary’. Since you cannot control whether you are hungry or not (it is ‘involuntary’), you can only use འདུག་ (to show it is impersonal, or that you are merely perceiving it happen).

ཡོད་ will be used for cases where you have some control over what is happening. ང་ འགྲོ་གི་ ཡོད་, “I’m going”, for example… (and you wouldn’t say འདུག for yourself for འགྲོ for the same reason, you’re always controlling where you’re going).

1 Like

Absolutely! འདོད་ expresses desires or wants, so that’s exactly it, yes.

1 Like

I don’t know! Is there more context?

It’s a typo, it should be “སྤུན་མཆེད་” (siblings / cousins / relatives) and I am guessing “འཛོམས་” (gather / get together)

Another typo. བུ་མོ་ སྙིང་རྗེ་པོ་ དེ་ “that beautiful girl”

If in a question, yes (eg ག་རེ་ ཟ་དགོས་ཡོད?) – otherwise, ཡོད་ will show something ‘personal’ (I / me).

Show / look at the menu.

There is a specific use case for བྱས་ where you use it to list items. After each item, you say “བྱས་” to show it is part of the list! I am guessing someone is listing a few different things here…

I’m not sure about these, I’ll need more context…

@anacarladechen Maybe you could give the HTML link to the Arapatsa page?

བཀྲ་ཤི་བདེ་ལགས་Dirk།
ཐུགས་རྗེ་ཆེ།

The text from where the expressions were taken and which need more context were removed, so I am not able now to give more context :flushed:
About the sentence which I couldn’t get the idea, I am sending you the image attached to this message.

Oh it’s a translation of a joke originally in English.

“Make me one with everything”.

I’m not sure whether or not it really works in Tibetan :smile:

Also, the grammar is a bit difficult, using a nominalized ཡིན་པ་ / ཡོད་པ་ like this… it’s for sure not A1. But to give another example of this kind of use:

གཞུང་འབྲེལ་མ་ཡིན་པའི་ཚོགས་པ་ = Non-governmental Organization (NGO)

Literally, an organization (ཚོགས་པ་) where there isn’t (མ་ཡིན་པའི་) a connection (འབྲེལ་) to government (གཞུང་).

1 Like