Questions about dialogue

Dirk, I have other questions about this dialogue:

སྒྲོལ་མ། འདི་ལ་སྐྱིད་པོ་འདུག་གས།
ལྷ་མོ། སྐྱིད་པོ་འདུག འདི་ལ་བོད་པ་མང་པོ་འདུག
སྒྲོལ་མ། འདི་ལ་སྐྱིད་པོ་ཡོད་རེད་ད། *** I don’t understand this sentence in this dialogue sequence. “I am good here and now”?

**** Later on in the same dialogue:
ཨ་ལེ། མོ་ལ་ཉི་མ་གཅིག་ལ་འཛིན་གྲྭ་ག་ཚོད་ཡོད་རེད། **Why are there two ལ in this sentence? Why do they have to use the first one? Is it saying that she had (the amount of) one class which was on Sunday?
བཀྲ་ཤིས། ཉི་མ་གཅིག་ལ་འཛིན་གྲྭ་གཉིས་ཡོད་རེད། **She had class on one or two Sundays?
I am a little confuse here with their exchange…

**** Later on in the same dialogue:
ཁྱེད་རང་གིས་བོད་ཡིག་ཡག་པོ་སྦྱངས་ན་ལས་སླ་པོ་ཡོད་རེད་ད། Why do we need the “ན” here ?

Thank you,
Ana

2 Likes

ཉི་མ་ can also just be “day”. མོ་ལ་, you have the first ལ་ right, it shows possession (to her / she has), and the second, ཉི་མ་གཅིག་ལ་ (“in one day”), right?

Maybe you can get it now? :wink:

ན་ is usually “if”.

2 Likes

As a word, ད་ means “now” but usually that will come towards the start of the sentence. This ད་ doesn’t mean “now”, it is an ending for the verb, which is ཡོད་རེད་ད།.

The linguistic term for it is a ‘discourse marker’. It is just putting some emphasis there, and it’s a really common thing in natural Tibetan speech!

2 Likes

This takes a few forms, and like many Tibetan markers, it will depend on the final letter / sound of the word it’s modifying:

རེད་ད།
སོང་ང་།
འདུག་ག
etc.

2 Likes